Friday 15 June 2012

Undocumented feature - interrupt - part five


Continuing from part four where we looked at "4", "5" and "6"...


7 - Parent directory


This sets $result to be the parent directory of the file path that you specify, like this...


  interrupt(7,"C:\temp\test\")
  parent = $result



In this case $result would be set to "C:\temp\".  You could do this with string manipulation, but you need to be careful that you check to see if the last character is a delimiter or not...

  filepath = "C:\temp\test\"
  if ( $scan(filepath,"/") < 1 ) ;calculate delimiter
    del = "\"
  else
    del = "/"
  endif
  pos = $length(filepath)
  if ( filepath[pos] = del ) ;remove last character if delimiter
    filepath = filepath[1:pos-1] 
  endif
  pos = $rscan(filepath,del) ;find last delimiter
  filepath = filepath[1,pos] ;truncate string

As you can see, this isn't very concise either, and uses $rscan as well as $scan, so it's not likely to perform very well.  As with "6", I'll test with and without the code which calculates the delimiter, over 2,000,000 iterations...

  • interrupt = 00:05.16, 00:05.20, 00:05.09 (just over 5 seconds)
  • alternative = 00:17.74, 00:17.52, 00:17.67 (over 17 seconds)
  • without $scan = 00:15.62, 00:15.39, 00:15.41 (over 15 seconds)

Looking at these times, I'm struggling to argue for using the alternative!  I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong, so I'm going to try and refactor my alternative, without $rscan.  

I've just tried using $replace to convert the file path into a list, remove the last item (or two) and then convert it back again - this took slightly longer!  I'm going to have to give up with this for now, but I hope to tackle this again.


8 - Unknown


I haven't found any indication of what functionality this might be, but it does behave differently to "1" and "4", which are also unknown.  In this case it always returns a $status of 0 and $result is set to the string that you pass in.  I've tried all sorts of weird and wonderful things without getting anywhere, I'm giving up on this one for now too.



9 - Unknown


I haven't found any indication of what functionality this might be either.  This also behaves differently, as it always returns a $status of 0 but $result remains unaffected. 


Summary: Numeric code "7" could be very useful for finding the parent directory quickly, but "8" and "9" remain unknown.



No comments:

Post a Comment